Thursday 18 June 2020

Zvezda 1/35 Bumerang APC (Звезда Вумеранг БТР) - Finished model and review

Hello again!

Today I finished my 1/35 Zvezda Bumerang. The Bumerang is an 8-wheeled armoured personnel carrier slated to come into service with the Russian Army. It is likely a small amount are either in testing or currently in service. This is one of my favourite vehicles so it was exciting to tackle this build. All up it took me about three weeks to build and paint, working on and off.

The kit itself is high quality. I'm continually impressed with Zvezda's detail on their parts. This kit also went together much better than the T-90 I built from them - the product of 6 years of experience on Zvezda's part since the T-90 was released I imagine. The only issues I had was some minor gaps to be filled where the hull went together. The build is still not perfect - I missed a couple of gaps and the wheels aren't on perfectly - but that is more me than the kit. The wheels are vinyl but hide their seams well. There is no photo-etch with the kit. Instructions were clear and easy to follow. The price is certainly right as well - at 50AUD it is priced very competitively as are all Zvezda kits.

What was frustrating was the ultra-thin mirror mounts. These were difficult to clean up and mount due to their fragility and I snapped one off early on during painting (entirely my fault, I'm clumsy and brutal with models). The piece snapped in multiple places and was sadly not repairable. The second one broke soon after. Given how much I weathered the model it's not implausible that they would be removed for combat or break off in the field so I'm not too concerned but it is still disappointing. If you build this kit be very cautious with them.

I tried a few new things with painting. I did an oil dot filter over the model. I intended for streaks but probably blended them too far. After this I did chipping with a brush - I think I went too far here, particularly on the top of the model. The dust and mud was applied with more care than on the T-90, using a combination of three different Vallejo pigments and enamel thinner to "wash" the dust on. Once dry, I used a dry brush to clean up obvious tide and brush marks and blend the dust in. After this I applied Vallejo thick mud on the wheels and underside to simulate fresh, wet mud. Finally I used a thicker enamel/pigment mix to flick on mud spatter onto the sides. I think the finished model looks pretty good but I still have plenty to learn and try. So, onto the pictures. Thanks for reading. :)
The built model. The vinyl wheels are nicely done so as to hide the seams. Plenty of antennas to break...

Basecoat down. I used my new Border Model airbrush to do the cam. I was very happy for a cheap airbrush.
The oils going down. This shows the contrast between the filtered hull and yet to be done turret.
Chipping! Probably too much. I need to be more careful next time.
The finished model.



Beautiful day to be in the Russian Army. T-90 and infantry are also Zvezda.





No comments:

Post a Comment