Tuesday 31 December 2019

2019 Retrospective

As 2019 nears its end, I thought I'd take a look back at my successes in this hobby. This blog is largely a way for me to self-motivate - to get things painted so they can take pride of place here as well as on the tabletop. In that, I think it's succeeded. I started university this year and so had to significantly tighten my hobby budget. Good bye Games Workshop, and bar a few miniatures from Russia (cheap!) good bye to 28mm altogether. This year I've moved to largely small scale gaming (15mm and below), including my first forays into 6mm and 10mm. In fact, the bulk of the year has been taken up by painting 6mm, initially with WW1 and then onto the Napoleonic Wars. Late in the year I really threw myself back into 15mm with By Fire and Sword, my favourite wargame of all time. The photos below cover what I've been working on in the past few weeks and what I'll be working on in 2020. I hope you enjoy!

Kings of War - Abyssal Dwarfs
I received some of The Russian Alternative's "dwarfs of fire canyon" (chaos/abyssal dwarfs) this month. These models are really cheap (thanks Russia!) but of a really fine quality. I'll be using them for Kings of War. Probably only aiming for around 1500 points as I'm not interested in painting a million 28mm models anymore!!!
The Russian Alternative's Khadai (the big guy) and some dwarf infantry. Great resin models!

By Fire and Sword
As mentioned above, BFaS is my favourite wargame of all time. After not painting 15mm for months I finally got back into and finished off my Tatar skirmish box set before adding another six bases in the past week.
Tatar Elite Cavalry. I finished these three bases yesterday.


My Tatar force is slowly coming along. It's now a mid-sized skirmish force. This should grow to a medium size task force.


6mm Napoleonic Russians
The 6mm train continues along. In the past couple of weeks I finished four bases of dragoons for my Napoleonic Russians. These models are great, with heaps of detail. Two more bases to go and the cavalry contingent is completely finished.
Loved painting these guys!

If you're eagle eyed you might notice the detail work is slightly different on each base. Each base represents a different regiment.

Banner detail

Finally starting to look like an army!

The cav

6mm mass effect...
Into 2020
I have three priorities going into next year. The first is to continue along with my Napoleonic Russians before I switch in 6mm back to my WW1 project. I also have a small 10mm ACW project to complete. Finally (and perhaps for me most excitingly)... more BFaS! The beginnings of my Muscovites appeared in the mail yesterday and I'm already painting! I can't help it, I'm a bit of a Russophile...
Fun!

My first border dragoons, painted mostly with artists' inks. Expect this to take up most of the posts early in the year!

Thanks for reading! If you wish comment below with what you got done and what you're moving on to in the new year!

2 comments:

  1. Love your Russians, great inspiration for the project I've just started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They've been by far the most popular on the blog so far haha

      Delete