Sunday 15 December 2019

Hobby Update - 16/12/19

Hi there!

It's been a slow time for my hobby lately but I'm finally kicking back into gear. These are some of the projects I've been working on lately.

6mm Napoleonics
Work on my 6mm Russian army has focused on dragoons lately. This project has been on a slow burn lately with distractions in the form of By Fire and Sword, Kings of Wars and 10mm ACW. I had painted a fair chunk for my army and needed a break. Starting back with four bases of dragoons. These have all been basecoated and washed. The green is highlighted as well so now I just have to finish the highlights and base them. These figures have been staring at me on my painting desk for a while so it's good to be nearing completion.

By Fire and Sword
Alongside the Tatars from my last post I've been doing some experiments with inks. These aren't typical washes like Games Workshop's or Army Painter's washes, but instead are highly pigmented inks that can basically be applied as a basecoat and wash in one. Hmm, sounds a lot like GW's contrast paints without the marketing... The two bases below were painted entirely with Vallejo's game ink line. The figures were primed grey then drybrushed white. The base on the right had highlights applied with regular paints, the left base is only the inks. I have a bit more experimenting to do and have added some Liquitex brand inks to help bulk out the collection. I'm really interested in this approach and will be using it to rapidly paint a Muscovy army that I have coming from Poland.

Kings of War
For a long time I've had a bunch of Russian Alternative "Dwarfs of Fire Canyon" (chaos dwarfs/abyssal dwarfs) lying around. I recently picked up the Kings of War rulebook and decided to rebase what I had already painted and finish figures I've already started. I have the next batch of figures basecoated and washed so they won't take long. I multibased these in a very simple fashion as I usually use grasslands tables. I think they came out well and I have some more figures on the way. This blog won't contain much sci-fi or fantasy stuff but this project will be an exception. Russian Alternative make really great looking figures at an affordable price for 28mm.

No comments:

Post a Comment