Tuesday 22 October 2019

Great War Russians (in progress)

Hello there!

Following a request on the Baccus forum that I put up some photos of my Russians for Great War Spearhead, here they are. Please keep in mind this is nowhere near the full force - I currently have 3 infantry regiments painted as well as some extra artillery and support stands. I am working towards a full two-division corps, however this project is on the backburner while I focus on the Napoleonic Wars. Differentiation between regiments is by epaulette colour - so far my three infantry regiments have red, yellow and blue epaulettes respectively. Headquarters bases are marked by a subtle X (XX for Division) on their back of the base to keep it out of the way.

One of the hardest things about this period is the drab uniforms. My Great War French in their blue uniforms stand out on their brown, muddy Western Front basing. When I started the Russians I decided the focus of the project would be a basing scheme that was foliage heavy to portray the untamed wilderness of Eastern Europe. Combined with the drab green uniform, this makes these figures really hard to photograph. I've had comments to the effect that I overdid the basing, however I think the effect en mass looks quite good and am happy with it overall. Until next time!

Division HQ

122mm howitzers. I also have three bases of 76mm field guns painted.

Divisional cavalry

Infantry

Machine gun

Machine gun

All up this is about a third of what I've painted for this army so far

No comments:

Post a Comment