Wednesday 29 January 2020

Making a Coffee Table Wargame

Hi again,

Today I did something I've been intending on doing for a while - make a coffee table sized gaming mat. I first had the idea when I did my 3mm modern forces for Fistful of Tows 3. I placed an order today for some 2mm Irregular Miniatures WW2 stuff (Soviets and Germans) and so I figured the time was right to finally bring my idea to life. I had done a previous game mat for a full sized table and took the lessons I learnt from that to make this one. Using clump foliage and tea towels underneath for elevation along with some Monopoly buildings I think the table looks quite good! I think I'll have to order some proper buildings though...

I'm unsure what ruleset I'll use on the table but scaling ranges down will be a must. I already have Fistful of TOWs 3 and am familiar with it but have also purchased Kampgruppe Commander III from Wargames Vault and am liking what I'm reading. Decisions! Until next time. :)

Fields are spray painted on. The roads and rivers are painted on with cheap poster acrylic paint.

Setup with terrain. I envisioned this as a Soviet attack from the left table edge on a German defensive line protecting the town.

Small hills have a big impact at this scale.

3mm O8 modern armour. I think 2mm will be even better a fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment